DANGEROUS WEBSITE: www.driverguide.com
j***@myplace.com
2011-03-09 08:09:25 UTC
If you need drivers for your computer, DO NOT download them from this
site. www.driverguide.com. You think you're downloading the driver.
When you try to install the download, you go thru the normal process
of accepting the terms, etc. Then it asks you if you want their
toolbar. I clicked "NO". But you're not installing from the
download. You must be online and it downloads the driver, and STILL
installs the fucking toolbar, which is used to track your usage. They
claim this is how they pay for their site. Whether this is true or
not, your computer is infected with spyware. DO NOT use this website.
ASCII
2011-03-09 09:20:34 UTC
If you need drivers for your computer, www.driverguide.com.
Thanks for the heads up,
I didn't realize how many of my drivers were out of date.
System sure runs smoother now <g>
Hot-text
2011-03-10 17:14:24 UTC
Post by ASCII
If you need drivers for your computer, www.driverguide.com.
Thanks for the heads up,
I didn't realize how many of my drivers were out of date.
System sure runs smoother now <g>
It good to know Hmm
is need the put some Drives on driverguide.com, for 2000 to 98 too day too!
http://hot-text.ath.cx
Hot-text
2011-03-10 17:11:06 UTC
Post by j***@myplace.com
If you need drivers for your computer, DO NOT download them from this
site. www.driverguide.com. You think you're downloading the driver.
When you try to install the download, you go thru the normal process
of accepting the terms, etc. Then it asks you if you want their
toolbar. I clicked "NO". But you're not installing from the
download. You must be online and it downloads the driver, and STILL
installs the fucking toolbar, which is used to track your usage. They
claim this is how they pay for their site. Whether this is true or
not, your computer is infected with spyware. DO NOT use this website.
It is not the website the give you the ToolBar!

It was the Software you downloaded, for there!
Now need to your computer cam infected with spyware,
Form all Download Website!
http://hot-text.ath.cx
h***@gmail.com
2017-03-22 07:07:47 UTC
Post by Hot-text
Post by j***@myplace.com
If you need drivers for your computer, DO NOT download them from this
site. www.driverguide.com. You think you're downloading the driver.
When you try to install the download, you go thru the normal process
of accepting the terms, etc. Then it asks you if you want their
toolbar. I clicked "NO". But you're not installing from the
download. You must be online and it downloads the driver, and STILL
installs the fucking toolbar, which is used to track your usage. They
claim this is how they pay for their site. Whether this is true or
not, your computer is infected with spyware. DO NOT use this website.
It is not the website the give you the ToolBar!
It was the Software you downloaded, for there!
Now need to your computer cam infected with spyware,
Form all Download Website!
--
http://hot-text.ath.cx
always isnstal anti malware in your pc
maybe fix problem

visit my canon driver series download http://canon-driverseries.blogspot.com/
Li'l Abner
2011-03-11 07:01:06 UTC
Post by j***@myplace.com
If you need drivers for your computer, DO NOT download them from this
site. www.driverguide.com. You think you're downloading the driver.
When you try to install the download, you go thru the normal process
of accepting the terms, etc. Then it asks you if you want their
toolbar. I clicked "NO". But you're not installing from the
download. You must be online and it downloads the driver, and STILL
installs the fucking toolbar, which is used to track your usage. They
claim this is how they pay for their site. Whether this is true or
not, your computer is infected with spyware. DO NOT use this website.
Hmm. I have a paid membership. I have found a lot of hard to find drivers
there over the years. I've never had any such side effects. I think they
have some kind of software you can download to detect devices on your
computer. Maybe that's what does it. I never installed that. I usually know
what driver I'm looking for and it's always for some other computer than my
own.

Unless this is something that has just started real recently.
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
2011-03-11 13:23:20 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
The bottom of the home page has the following link "Toolbar Removal Info":

http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=doc&page=docs__help__zugo_removal

"We thank you for trying the Search Toolbar (powered by Bing TM), your using
that toolbar has given us the ability to keep our site free and we thank you
for that! We also respect your decision if you choose to remove the toolbar
and restore your previous settings. This document will help you do that. If
you have any further problems, let us know."

I don't use the site, but I've never seen anyone complain about it (and
indeed, I've seen people I trust rave about it), so I just installed the
DriverScan (not the DriverGuide Toolkit) and I didn't get a toolbar. I
expect that must be reserved for those who download the free version of the
DriverGuide Toolkit rather than the paid version.

The only problem I can see is that some of the drivers I am being encouraged
to download will break my computer. All in all, I really think it's better
to obtain drivers for specific hardware from the manufacturer when possible.
Dave Cohen
2011-03-11 16:07:43 UTC
Post by Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
Well yes, don't we all. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always see
fit to support devices from one machine update to the next. My PaperPort
Scanner for win98 cannot be used with winxp. So I got a flatbed OneTouch
7300usb but there is no support for that in Windows 7. Pity, their
products are good but I'll not get another product from Visioneer.
Dustin
2011-03-12 06:45:13 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
Dave,

Before giving up on some older hardware; Give the driver collection i
mentioned a try:

http://drp.su/download.htm#
--
If today was your last day... and tomorrow was too late...
could you say goodbye to yesterday?
Dustin
2011-03-12 07:19:41 UTC
Post by Dustin
Dave,
Before giving up on some older hardware; Give the driver collection i
http://drp.su/download.htm#
Btw,

I was able to extract the individual torrent itself from the executable,
so there is no real need to download the exe file. I will happily provide
the extracted torrent file via email if anyone wants it.
Li'l Abner
2011-03-12 10:11:56 UTC
Post by Dustin
http://drp.su/download.htm#
I wind up hung here Loading Image...
It got that far and has been stopped there for about 25 minues.
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
Dustin
2011-03-12 14:52:48 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by Dustin
http://drp.su/download.htm#
I wind up hung here http://mewnlite.com/hung.jpg
It got that far and has been stopped there for about 25 minues.
Email me and i'll provide you the torrent that thing actually uses.
VanguardLH
2011-03-12 19:34:33 UTC
Post by Dave Cohen
Well yes, don't we all. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always see
fit to support devices from one machine update to the next. My PaperPort
Scanner for win98 cannot be used with winxp. So I got a flatbed OneTouch
7300usb but there is no support for that in Windows 7. Pity, their
products are good but I'll not get another product from Visioneer.
I take it you got a version of Windows 7 that doesn't include or support
the use of XP Mode (where you could use the old hardware).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

"Windows 7" says nothing about which *edition* of it that you have.
Maybe you got stuck with the Home edition.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare?T1=tab01

In that case, you could still use VirtualPC, VMware Server, or
VirtualBox to run Windows XP as a guest OS inside of a virtual machine
(provided you still have an unfettered license to Windows XP).
Dustin
2011-03-12 06:44:33 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
I've used driverguide off/on for years, Had my own account when it was
still completely free if you'd just signup. I never had any real
problems, one infected driver once; but I don't blame them for it. User
contributions always carry that risk.
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
2011-03-12 12:01:48 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
Some of the drivers shown by the scan are the wrong drivers for my computer.
If I download and install them, certain things will not work.

Even at that, this site was recommended in the old Microsoft usenet groups
pretty regularly as well as by Fred Langa, so it seems clear that the
original post is a little over the top, especially considering how easy the
toolbar is to remove.

(I'm not all that thrilled with software that installs "bonus software" but
unless people want to start paying for "free" utilities, I don't see that
developers have much other choice given that most folks don't donate.)
j***@myplace.com
2011-03-20 06:17:49 UTC
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 08:23:20 -0500, "Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries"
Post by Li'l Abner
Unless this is something that has just started real recently.
Why should I (or anyone) have to remove a goddamn toolbar which was
installed AFTER we selected "NO" (DO NOT INSTALL IT). ???

This is just like I got a letter in he mail with a survey I was told
that I must respond to, and it included a one dollar bill. I spent
the dollar and tossed the rest of the trash. Then I get another
letter telling me I must respond or return the dollar. Yea, like I'm
going to spend a half dollar to buy a stamp to return their dollar
which I never asked for. I did however report them to the post
office.
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries
2011-03-20 16:38:37 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Unless this is something that has just started real recently.
Why should I (or anyone) have to remove a goddamn toolbar which was
installed AFTER we selected "NO" (DO NOT INSTALL IT). ???
You seem upset.

FYI, I installed the scanner and the DriverGuide Toolkit, and I didn't get
the toolbar. At the risk of upsetting you even more, I would suggest that
you fucked up the installation. At least I was kind enough to point you to
the removal instructions. Instead of swearing at me, you should say "thank
you."

P.S. You're welcome.
Post by j***@myplace.com
This is just like I got a letter in he mail with a survey I was told
that I must respond to, and it included a one dollar bill. I spent
the dollar and tossed the rest of the trash. Then I get another
letter telling me I must respond or return the dollar. Yea, like I'm
going to spend a half dollar to buy a stamp to return their dollar
which I never asked for. I did however report them to the post
office.
By law, you are not required to pay for or return anything that arrives
unsolicited. On the other hand, I do not think there is a law to prevent the
sender from trying to persuade you to comply with the terms it has set, even
if said sender has no legal right or leverage to compel you to do so.
Dustin
2011-03-12 06:43:28 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
If your looking for drivers you might want to give this a try:

http://drp.su/download.htm#

I've burned it to dvd-r after installing additional driverpacks and
I've been able to use it to fresh load systems, update my own drivers,
etc; All without having to use the internet. It supports that too,
should it fail to find something you need. However, in most cases; you
don't have to hunt for any drivers anymore if you use this little
puppy.

It supports windows XP,Vista and Windows 7. I first used it to
downgrade an Acer laptop from windows 7 to Windows XP Professional
edition; after checking Acer's website and finding no drivers which
would work reliably under windows XP. Acer doesn't want you to
downgrade ya see.

It does use an executable to attach to a torrent swarm to give you the
entire package, the executable is clean; although slightly annoying.
Li'l Abner
2011-03-12 16:53:48 UTC
Post by Dustin
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by j***@myplace.com
[...]
Well, seeing as it was you, I went ahead and downloaded the link, and
when I ran the file, it started running a torrent down in the right hand
corner of my screen. It said it was download xxx of 3.2Gb. It went up
about a quarter of the way and then stalled so I just quit paying
attention to it. Malwarebytes was going nuts blocking IP's so I turned
that feature off.

This morning when I got up the download had completed. When I went to
close the torrent, it wanted to know if I wanted to install it as my
torrent client. I said NO, but it was still running in my system tray. I
closed it. Then I turned the IP blocking back on in MBAM and right away
it starts blocking IP's again. Then I look in Rask Manager I see a file
called "T2E.exe" running. I killed that and hunted it down. It was in my
Local Settings/temp folder. I deleleted it. I went into msconfig and sure
enough it had added itself to my startup group. Got rid of that!

And now MBAM is *still* popping up blocked IP's. so apparently it has
installed something rlse that's phoning home... or somewhere. And
whatever the 3.2Gb file that it was supposed to be downloading (the one
with the drivers) is nowhere to be found. I'm not sure what the name of
it was supposed to be so that makes it kind of hard to search for. But I
do remember choosing a place for it to download to, and it isn't there.

MBAM has blocked at least half a dozen IP's while I've been writing this
post. All different IP's and all incoming. I usually only see that happen
once every couple of days at most.

What did I get myself in to?
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
Whoever
2011-03-12 17:50:05 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
[...]
While MBAM did want to block a number of IP addresses here as well,
the rest of my experience was different. The torrent downloaded into a
DRPSu10.6 Final folder in My Documents. When it finished, I shut it
down, told it not to be the default torrent client, exited using the
tray icon, deleted the T2E exceptions in the Windows Firewall and
deleted the initial program. I scanned the downloaded files in My Docs
with MBAM and NOD32, burned them to DVD and then deleted them as well.
Everything went fairly smoothly. Nothing still hanging on here, no
blocked IP's from MBAM, nothing extra running in Task Manager and
nothing added to the Startup menu.
Are we having fun yet?
Li'l Abner
2011-03-12 22:03:44 UTC
Post by Whoever
Post by Li'l Abner
[...]
OK, I did find the files. It made the folder DRPSu10.6 Final you
mentioned. Actually it installed that folder in the folder I originally
picked, so that was my bad. And the IP blocking has slowed down
considerably so I think I'll stop panicking now... :-)

Thanks for the reply.
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
Li'l Abner
2011-03-15 07:45:25 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by Whoever
Post by Li'l Abner
[...]
Now I wish I'd never seen this thread. I'm one of these guys that has to
try everything. I burnt the DVD and stuck it in to see what it would do.
I figured it'd just decide my drivers were OK and end. But NO! It decided
to install 5 drivers. Didn't really say what they were. And then my USB
connect/disconnect sound starting going nuts. Connect, disconnect, over
and over. I tried unplugging my USB stuff one at a time. Nothing stopped
it. I rebooted. Still kept doing it.

Thank God for Acronis. Although my last drive image was a couple of weeks
old, I keep all my documents on another drive. So I restored it to then
and all was well. I have tossed the DVD. I'm glad I didn't test it on
someone else's computer!
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
Dustin
2011-03-16 00:01:45 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by Li'l Abner
Post by Whoever
Post by Li'l Abner
[...]
I am sorry you had such a bad experience with it. I've found it handy
on several occasions now.
Post by Li'l Abner
Thank God for Acronis. Although my last drive image was a couple of
weeks old, I keep all my documents on another drive. So I restored
it to then and all was well. I have tossed the DVD. I'm glad I
didn't test it on someone else's computer!
Backups are important.
Dustin
2011-03-13 19:11:25 UTC
Post by Li'l Abner
Well, seeing as it was you, I went ahead and downloaded the link,
and when I ran the file, it started running a torrent down in the
right hand corner of my screen. It said it was download xxx of
3.2Gb. It went up about a quarter of the way and then stalled so I
just quit paying attention to it. Malwarebytes was going nuts
blocking IP's so I turned that feature off.
Yep. It attaches you to a torrent swarm.
Post by Li'l Abner
hunted it down. It was in my Local Settings/temp folder. I deleleted
it. I went into msconfig and sure enough it had added itself to my
startup group. Got rid of that!
That's where the annoying aspect comes in. It hasn't installed spyware
or anything, but it's not the most graceful shutting down.

It may have (I haven't confirmed this is what did it yet)
http://www.trustedsoftware.com/what.html?src=tsa

but you can easily remove it. I haven't done so yet, I find it kinda
interesting.
Post by Li'l Abner
And now MBAM is *still* popping up blocked IP's. so apparently it
has installed something rlse that's phoning home... or somewhere.
And whatever the 3.2Gb file that it was supposed to be downloading
(the one with the drivers) is nowhere to be found. I'm not sure what
the name of it was supposed to be so that makes it kind of hard to
search for. But I do remember choosing a place for it to download
to, and it isn't there.
It's inside a folder where you picked the download place. It's not a
single file, but an entire ready to roll folder/file collection.
Post by Li'l Abner
MBAM has blocked at least half a dozen IP's while I've been writing
this post. All different IP's and all incoming. I usually only see
that happen once every couple of days at most.
It's because you were part of a large torrent swarm. It will die down
to nothingness eventually.
Post by Li'l Abner
What did I get myself in to?
I wouldn't put you in harms way.
Dustin
2011-03-13 19:12:28 UTC
"Li'l Abner" <***@dogpatch.com> wrote in news:***@wefb973cbe498:

Minor update, It's not what loaded trustedsoftware. heheh. Something else
I was mucking around with did.