SuperAntiSpyware Question
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-09 20:18:00 UTC
I had the program run one time and it targeted spawn.exe as a bummer
file to get rid of. It was wrong. Spawn.exe is part of Acronis
True Image. True Image has been on my machine and used frequently
for almost a decade.

My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?

Too often during the years I've lost important files because of that
nonsense.
David B.
2019-02-10 16:02:41 UTC
Post by m***@phffft.com
I had the program run one time and it targeted spawn.exe as a bummer
file to get rid of. It was wrong. Spawn.exe is part of Acronis
True Image. True Image has been on my machine and used frequently
for almost a decade.
My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?
Too often during the years I've lost important files because of that
nonsense.
Sadly, I cannot answer your question, but you may find this forum thread
of interest.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-spawn-exe.139587/

If you have paid to have SuperAntiSpyware advise you, I suggest that you
let it rid you of any malware it may find.

https://www.superantispyware.com/

There's support too, here:-

https://www.superantispyware.com/contact.html

HTH
David B.
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-10 18:23:51 UTC
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 16:02:41 +0000, "David B." <"David
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
[...]
It is very compliant as to allowing the user to ignore or delete a
file that it has selected as a problem.

I used a sandbox program to install and run it. That told me the
whole story. One doesn't have to worry about changes in their
computer when using a sandbox. I should have thought of it earlier.

I've decided to buy SuperAntiSpyware. It's compliant. I hate
programs that try to take over my comp without input from myself.
Buffalo
2019-02-10 22:51:46 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
[...]
I use it also and I like that you can pick what you do not want it to fix
and also add it to exceptions so it won't be detected again in its program
scanning.
I bought it many yrs ago with a lifetime license and I still like it. I did
better on that buy than I did in the stock market!!
My anti-spy, anti-virus programs rarely find anything, overall.
Buffalo
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-10 23:50:03 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
[...]
Same *exact* problem here. Those AVs find only PUPs or mark a file
as a baddy that I've been using for a decade or more. Personally,
I'm thinking they're a fraud these days. Take a look at the yearly
fee for those things, especially if you own more than a single comp.
Those people are out of their minds.

You want a very special experience? Read Kaspersky's EULA. It's
unbelievable the info they gather from you, plus they insist you
give away almost all your legal rights.

I had been using Kaspersky for years, since they were AVP in one of
the Dakotas. Some of their executables are still labeled as AVP.
Somewhere along the way, not too many years ago, greed took over,
plus they emulated the death of other good programs who figured they
had to be 'all things to all people'. I especially hate that crap
these programs pull by finding some reason or other not to load a
web page. That Web Security feature of Kaspersky's is an absolute
pain in the butt. One has little choice except to uninstall that
crap feature.

I figure all I need is a sandbox and a free AV program that only
catches a bummer file. Load it up to Total Virus and see how many
other AV's agree with the find. If its a baddy, use Eraser or the
like on it. Of course in the sandbox you're fine, but we all forget
at times to be in the sandbox, or just get lazy and sloppy.

Time Freeze is my favorite sandbox. Shadow Defender does allow you
to sandbox any number of drives. That could be handy if you have
multiple drives. I think Sandboxie takes too much screwing around
with unnecessary menu choices. I tried using it a number of times
some years back and always gave up on the rigamarole it took to use
it. As far as I'm concerned, A sandbox is either on or off.
Period. Forget all the exceptions nonsense. If you want to save a
file, send outside the sandbox. Simple. I believe wholeheartedly
in the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid! Too many really
great programs are being destroyed by trying to be all things to all
people. To hell with them. I don't multitask too well. :o)

---
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-11 00:58:23 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
[...]
The avast thing was to be my last 'try out' for a program to find
the bad guys for me. It's free and it seems controllable as to what
actually gets deleted. I'm going to use if only for find the bad
ones. I'll use Eraser to get rid of the bad stuff if I get caught
while not using TimeFreeze. That way I'll make sure of what is
getting deleted. Oh, and their sig file will get disabled.

Let's hope Avast actually finds something - according to Virus
Comparatives it does. We'll see.

Now let's see if the sig file shows this time.
Shadow
2019-02-11 02:14:52 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
I had the program run one time and it targeted spawn.exe as a bummer
file to get rid of. It was wrong. Spawn.exe is part of Acronis
True Image. True Image has been on my machine and used frequently
for almost a decade.
My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?
Too often during the years I've lost important files because of that
nonsense.
Sadly, I cannot answer your question
So FFOKCUF !!!!!
(please excuse my Scottish accent)

https://web.archive.org/web/20190205091456/https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-11 16:07:36 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
I had the program run one time and it targeted spawn.exe as a bummer
file to get rid of. It was wrong. Spawn.exe is part of Acronis
True Image. True Image has been on my machine and used frequently
for almost a decade.
My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?
Too often during the years I've lost important files because of that
nonsense.
Sadly, I cannot answer your question, but you may find this forum thread
of interest.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-spawn-exe.139587/
I saw that when I searched after SuperAntiSpyware's warning.
Post by David B.
If you have paid to have SuperAntiSpyware advise you, I suggest that you
let it rid you of any malware it may find.
That method has lost many people clean functioning protgrams.

I cannot recount how many times through the years AVs have given me
false postives on perfectly good files. Take a look at AV
Compartives. There is a reason they downgrade AVs which have a
high rate of false positives. Those can screw up your comp if you
listen to them.

I've had Acronis True Image on all our comps since '05. All of them
have spawn.exe included with Acronis. If there is a problem because
of that file, it isn't apparent in the slightest.

I try to follow the old adage 'Don't fix what ain't broken'.
Post by David B.
HTH
https://www.file.net/process/spawn.exe.html

What is spawn.exe?

The genuine spawn.exe file is a software component of Acronis True
Image by Acronis.
As a Windows executable file, "spawn.exe" is part of several "True
Image" software versions by Acronis, such as "Acronis True Image
Home 2012" and "True Image 2013." The file starts the program. The
program functions as software to create backups of complete
operating systems or documents, images, and other files. It utilizes
the 'chkdsk' process or the 'cmd.exe' command processor to capture
the input/output file for backups. Acronis provides innovative
backup solutions for commercial purposes and helps migrate, protect,
and recover important files in cloud, physical, and virtual
environments. Several OEM manufacturers use the software developed
by Acronis, such as Hewlett Packard, Compaq, etc. Therefore, you may
find the 'spawn.exe' file labeled as a manufactrurer file for their
software.

Spawn stands for Acronis Spawn Utility

The .exe extension on a filename indicates an executable file.
Executable files may, in some cases, harm your computer. Therefore,
please read below to decide for yourself whether the spawn.exe on
your computer is a Trojan that you should remove, or whether it is a
file belonging to the Windows operating system or to a trusted
application.
David B.
2019-02-11 23:42:27 UTC
Post by m***@phffft.com
The genuine spawn.exe file is a software component of Acronis True
Image by Acronis.
I'd agree with that. :-)

However, it does say "The *GENUINE* spawn.exe file ..."

If I were you, I'd bounce my query off SuperAntiSpyware themselves.

YMMV
David B.
m***@phffft.com
2019-02-12 01:11:16 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
The genuine spawn.exe file is a software component of Acronis True
Image by Acronis.
I'd agree with that. :-)
However, it does say "The *GENUINE* spawn.exe file ..."
If I were you, I'd bounce my query off SuperAntiSpyware themselves.
YMMV
I have checked it many different ways, including with SAP. As I
said, this Acronis file has been on all our comps since '05. I use
Acronis quite often. I usually make incremental backups a few times
a week. Never had a problem. Every time I do a full scan on the
comps we own, they come up clean, except for that PUP and the like
nonsense. And all those warning have always been B.S. You got to
use your head and past experiences in deciding if some of the stuff
an AV program is telling you is B.S. We have 5 comps. Never a
problem with Viruses or Trojans that weren't caught immediately by
the AV proggie we were using at the time. Another thing, you have
to use the *best* of those programs as shown in AV Comparatives.
Forget the wannabes. Read some of the reviews at Amazon by the
customers of certain AVs. You learn things there, too. I look
mostly at the reviewers giving a proggie only a one or two stars.
I'm looking for the bad stuff more than the praised stuff.

I will say this again, using a sandbox eliminates pretty much the
worry of getting infected. Yeah, there is some malware written to
get through sandboxes, but as far as I know they are few and far
between. No way are they as proliferate as other common malware.
But being human, one screws up at times and screws around without
the sandbox on. That's when you better have a top AV and malware
detector working for you.

End of spawn.exe talk. Acronis Ver. 8.0 has the last say.
David B.
2019-02-12 11:55:56 UTC
Post by m***@phffft.com
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
[...]
Hi Mark

I solved MY problem by switching to an Apple Mac! ;-)

Did you actually contact SAS and ask them if they have ever happened
across *malware which masquerades* as 'spawn.exe' - just to fool folk
just like you?
David B.
m***@phffft.com
- - - - - Acronis Ver. 8.0 has deleted this message as Subject: has expired - - - - -
David B.
2019-02-12 20:07:12 UTC
Post by David B.
Did you actually contact SAS and ask them if they have ever happened
across*malware which masquerades* as 'spawn.exe' - just to fool folk
just like you?
Well, *DID* you? ;-)
David B.
Diesel
2019-02-13 08:14:09 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by David B.
Did you actually contact SAS and ask them if they have ever
happened across*malware which masquerades* as 'spawn.exe' - just
to fool folk just like you?
Well, *DID* you? ;-)
Hopefully, they'll visit here and realize whats up:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/david$20brooks$20boaterdave
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/boaterdave-aka-david-brooks-the-troll
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/david$20brooks$20devon
Crime does not pay...as well as politics.
Diesel
2019-02-13 08:14:09 UTC
***@phffft.com news:***@4ax.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2019 01:11:16 GMT in alt.privacy.spyware, wrote:

[snip]
Post by m***@phffft.com
End of spawn.exe talk. Acronis Ver. 8.0 has the last say.
Just so you understand better who you've responded to, I'd suggest a quick visit to any of these:

Peter is listening to "Eagles - Hotel California"
Diesel
2019-02-13 08:14:08 UTC
Post by m***@phffft.com
Post by David B.
Sadly, I cannot answer your question, but you may find this forum
thread of interest.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-spawn-exe.139587/
I saw that when I searched after SuperAntiSpyware's warning.
David shared that with you in order to gauge how useful (or not) you
might be to follow up questions, which, I assure you, will result in
your being asked to stalk another person, write a post someplace he's
been banned from, and/or offer advice for him to deal with people
he's pissed off royally that want his head on a platter.

He hijacked the thread for the specific purpose of phishing. That is,
phishing for people who don't know anything about him (yet) that he
might be able to convince to help him to stalk another person or a
small group of individuals. He's asked people to help him hang me out
to dry on more than one occasion.
Post by m***@phffft.com
Post by David B.
If you have paid to have SuperAntiSpyware advise you, I suggest
that you let it rid you of any malware it may find.
That method has lost many people clean functioning protgrams.
David doesn't know anything about Malware or the apps used to deal
with it. Any advice he offers will be a canned one or a copy/paste
job written by someone else who knows wtf they're writing about, most
of the time. His sole reason for the post was to thread hijack.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Diesel
2019-02-13 08:13:56 UTC
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
I had the program run one time and it targeted spawn.exe as a
bummer file to get rid of. It was wrong. Spawn.exe is part of
Acronis True Image. True Image has been on my machine and used
frequently for almost a decade.
My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?
Too often during the years I've lost important files because of
that nonsense.
Sadly, I cannot answer your question, but you may find this forum
thread of interest.
You have nothing of value to share in the thread then. And the url
you've posted has nothing to do with the OPs original query. It's
offtopic.
Post by David B.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/what-is-spawn-exe.139587/
You're showing your n00b skills, again. The only people who rely on a
filename to determine what something is or isn't are end users (like
yourself) who know nothing about the inner workings of the machine
sitting in front of them. A filename alone means absolutely NOTHING
in so far as detection of malware.

I won't sit on the sidelines and keep my mouth shut when I see you
trying to recruit new suckers for your ongoing personal fights you
have with various software companies, individuals, etc.

And you really should stop hijacking threads to try and sucker people
into helping you do things. It's not only a bit old, and very
trollish of you, it's also a known trait of yours, and, more people
are learning about that too.

Which reminds me, the former police officer you found in
rec.photo.digital that you tried to get you to help hang me out to
Post by David B.
Post by m***@phffft.com
That particular "Top Gun" theme was "Take My Breath Away", I am
not sure how that relates to any of the protagonists in this this
thread.
Well, in all fairness, mr Duck, you did at one point mistakenly
assume that David Brooks was a decent enough person; myself and
some other individuals were the problem. I don't know at what
point you discovered that your initial opinion was a little more
than off concerning him, but, better late than never. :)
It is true that I had initially given him the benefit of doubt, and
provided some assistance regarding photo queries he had in
rec.photo.digital, but he could not resist revealing his true
nature. So I figured things out quite quickly. At that point it
seemed to me that the simplest solution was to eliminate him from my
Usenet musings, and not to respond to him directly in any way. That
has made Usenet life almost enjoyable again.

Judicious use of filters/killfile helps, and I suggest that others
suffering from 'Boater Dave' fatigue employ a similat tactic.

Just to remind you and others reading And I quote:
It is true that I had initially given him the benefit of doubt, and
provided some assistance regarding photo queries he had in
rec.photo.digital, but he could not resist revealing his true
nature. So I figured things out quite quickly. At that point it
seemed to me that the simplest solution was to eliminate him from my
Usenet musings, and not to respond to him directly in any way. That
has made Usenet life almost enjoyable again.

Obviously, to save face, he's adjusted how long it took him to figure
you out; it took much longer than he admitted to, but, it did happen.
He initially dismissed not only myself but a couple of other people
who posted there to warn them about you, he gave you the benefit of
the doubt over what we wrote about you, and, true to you (since we
only told the truth about you) it was only a matter of time before
you independently confirmed it with your own actions, and,
demonstrated to the majority of regulars on rec.photos.digital that
you're a stalking troll of the worst kind. So much so, even nospam
has made it a point to call you out in various posts on various
newsgroups. I'm impressed with that, too.
Post by David B.
If you have paid to have SuperAntiSpyware advise you, I suggest
that you let it rid you of any malware it may find.
I'd suggest the OP either filter you, or, just ignore you, and not be
foolish enough to follow up with you on anything, lest they too
become targets in your never ending quest to stalk people. er, I
mean, hunt bad guys.
'It's as BAD as you think, and they ARE out to get you.'
s|b
2019-02-10 17:18:30 UTC
Post by m***@phffft.com
My question is, does SuperAntiSpyware give me the choice of not
having the file deleted, or does it delete automatically without
giving me the choice to keep the file?
I'm using the free version; you should have the choice to delete it or
not.
Post by m***@phffft.com
Too often during the years I've lost important files because of that
nonsense.
That's why there are backups.
--
s|b